Welcome to the Llanelly Pottery website -
a resource site for all those who have an interest in Llanelly Pottery.
From 1839 until the early 1920s, pottery was manufactured commercially
in Llanelli near to where the Asda shopping complex now stands.
Little or nothing now remains of the factory, apart from a recently-erected
blue plaque identifying its original location. However, after 8
decades of pottery making, enough evidence remains in glass cabinets,
on shelves and welsh dressers, to testify that pottery, along with
rugby and tinplate, is an important part of the town's heritage.
Llanelly pottery now holds a fascination to many enthusiasts and
collectors, both within and beyond the town's boundaries; and we
hope this website can only add to that enthusiasm. Also, we hope
it will be an initial source of information to anybody who may be
interested in finding out more about what Llanelly pottery has to
offer. There is a short history of Llanelly pottery from its beginnings
under William Chambers Jnr. in 1839, until it ceased production
in 1922 - giving a brief description of the various periods of pottery
manufacture. We have listed public collections where Llanelly pottery
may be viewed, and a section listing the various books that have
been written about welsh pottery and Llanelly pottery in particular.
We would welcome comments, criticisms, corrections or additions
to any of the information we have listed, to help make the site
as relevant as possible; and would also welcome photographs or images
of interesting pieces you own or may have owned, to extend our gallery-
full accreditation of which will be given.